Introduction

I'm a freelance illustrator/designer/art director and if you think I can help with your project, want to offer words of encouragement or simply say hi, feel free to get in touch.

I'm also on Twitter and Facebook. Follow me to find out every time I haul bits of imagination kicking and screaming into reality.

Friday 7 December 2012

Steel

I'm managing to slowly indoctrinate my son into geek culture starting with the Max Fleischer Superman cartoons form the 30s/40s. Despite the questionable racial stereotypes (see the episode 'Japotage'), a product of wartime propaganda, they're still fantastic productions that clearly influenced the equally brilliant 'Batman: The Animated Series'.

Referencing those via the retro Superman logo I bashed this quick sketch out in an hour or so.


The exaggerated proportions intended to contrast with the almost bland body form of these cartoons, that have since been refined over the decades into the sculpted form we're all so familiar with.

The loose cummerbund garment was just an idea to add the dash of colour that I felt was missing from his midriff in the pant-less redesign from the upcoming film, that I desperately want to be brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment